Thursday 6 May 2010

Seldom seen kid by Elbow (album review)



Description: Epic post-rock tinged emotional indie stalwarts Elbow release their fourth album 'The Seldom Seen Kid', another staunch and anthemic collection of songs. The tense and emotional sound of previous records remains, but with a distinctly more commercial riff-based template, particularly on lead single'Grounds For Divorce'. The band produced the record themselves, as with previous outings, lending it a homespun quality that would be out of synch with any external influence. Revered by their peers as a reliably independent act, Elbow have created a subtly innovative extension of their sound and scope with 'The Seldom Seen Kid'.

My review: This is not the most upbeat album I’ve ever heard, there are a few nice tracks on it, but I wouldn’t recommend listening to it if you are feeling depressed, it may just drag you deeper. I do find that Guy Garvey’s voice is, somewhat, therapeutic and hypnotic to listen to.

I absolutely love the tracks Grounds for Divorce, its gritty guitar riff and Garvey’s gravely voice is just brilliant, and the string section orchestration serenity of ‘One day like this’ just transports me to a nice place and I’m very guilty of listening to that track on repeat, quite regularly. I do have to say, in my opinion, I think these two tracks save the album, slightly.

Not an album I’m likely to listen to over and over, except for a few tracks.

No comments:

Post a Comment