Monday 10 May 2010

Rocky Horror Show: my review



Rocky Horror Show: Cambridge Corn Exchange Saturday 8th May 2010 5.30pm performance

I was treated to a night out on the town in Cambridge, while we had some willing babysitters looking after the kids. We went into Cambridge to the Corn Exchange to watch ‘The Rocky Horror show’. It was my first time, yes, I shall openly admit, I was a Rocky Horror virgin, until Saturday, at least. Now, I have been changed forever. My mind will never be the same again. My eyes will never look at things the same way and my ears have been forever influenced by the debauched, unadulterated, throbbing fun of that show.

Before I review the show, itself, I do have to point out, the people that go along to the show, some of them ‘die hard’ fans, go in some amazing outfits!! Including men coming in corsets, stockings, heels and g-strings (yes, cover your eyes people, it can get shocking!) and there was even a man dressed up as Janet, full garb, blonde wig, pink dress, full make-up the works, and he looked spectacularly DEVINE!! It’s all in the name of fun and now my Rocky Horror cherry has been plucked, I may partake in a little dress up if I was to go a second time.

I was thrilled to see our narrator for the evening was, none other than, Nigel Planer, ‘Neil’ from The Young Ones’ fame and lots more besides. His wonderful quick thinking and wit made a treat for the ‘fun heckling’ that erupted throughout the performance. I have to admit, other than Nigel, I hadn’t heard of any of the cast members before, however, I’m not likely to forget many of them in a hurry now. David Bedella played the seductively alluring Sweet Transvestite Frank ‘n’ Furter from Transexual Transylvania. My oh my, does that man have a very seductive deep velvet voice, even with the war paint on he definitely has the seductivity down well. Dear Riff Raff was played by Brian McCann and he has a great set of lungs on him and can play the creepy butler to a tee. Our dear naïve heroine and hero, Janet and Brad, were played by Haley Flaherty and Richard Meek, they were fantastic and kept the energy going throughout. And, I cannot forget the rippling Rocky played by Domonic Tribuzio, anybody who likes to look at a nicely ripped male body will definitely welcome him onstage, even in his leopard print speedos (that’s what they looked like from where I was sitting) and his back flips were amazing! Columbia and Magenta are amazing female sidekicks too, amazing voices and with their high kicks and splits while dressed in those costumes, I will say, rather them than me, great job.

Of course the creativity of this production comes from the depths of the mind of Richard O’Brien and this stage production was directed by Christopher Luscombe. I feel these people deserve a mention, all the cast and stage crew did an amazing job and have made me want to do a return visit the next time I can. The musicians were amazing, making the floor shake, the air scream with sound and complimented the songs and voices of the singers, brilliant work.

The whole thing was amazing, full of energy, full of enthusiasm, full of nylon and lace, heavy makeup and high heels. I have to admit, I am feeling the need to get myself a corset, fishnets and heels, slap on some over-the-top make-up and strut around the house and maybe do the Timewarp. Heck, if David Bedella can look that good in the get up, then I’m sure I could give it a go. By the end, pretty much the whole cast is in nylon stockings, suspenders, corsets/basques/waspies (whatever you want to call them) and heels. The story is brilliant, the cast shone, the hecklers added to it, and the cast made brilliant comebacks too. I didn’t quite know what to expect, and in saying that, I had a slight shock once or twice, but it’s all in the fun of the show, don’t go if you don’t like sexual innuendo and the like, you may get offended.

But if you do dare to partake in a bit of Rocky Horror entertainment, I’ll be surprised if you come out not enjoying yourself and buzzing for hours afterwards with the fun filled adrenaline you’ll leave with. The encore of the Timewarp had the whole theatre dancing along and singing. I don’t feel a standing ovation is enough for the dedication these people give to this show, or any show come to that. I have a lot of respect for stage performers, my dad used to do Amateur Dramatics and I know it’s hard work, learning the script and taking on the role of the part you play, be it in a play, musical or as a music group. To come out, night after night doing these performances and entertaining the audience isn’t easy and I doff my hat to them all. It’s a night I shall remember for a long time and relish replaying parts of it in my head. It had me laughing, singing and dancing and I enjoyed every single moment. I can highly recommend going to see the show, when it’s playing near you, but they do have different narrators, so don’t forget to check who’s narrating too, although I’m sure they all do a great job.

It’s hard to end this review I cannot seem to say enough good things about the show, cast and crew, they were amazing, wonderful, brilliant and awe inspiring. Go and lose your Rocky Horror cherry, if you haven’t already, and if you have, then I know you’re probably sitting there with a quirk of a smile on your lips and, probably, have a song or two from the show playing in your head. It’s a seductively engrossing treat not to be missed.


Check out the website: Rocky Horror Show.

No comments:

Post a Comment