Thursday 22 September 2011

Buddy The Musical: The Buddy Holly Story


Place: Cambridge Corn Exchange
Date: 16th September 2011
Performance: 5.30pm

My review: I have to admit, I do have a wide range of music taste, and there are probably loads of shows out there in 'theatre-land' I'd love to see, but Buddy wasn't high on MY list. My husband got the tickets, a show he wanted to see and generally if there's music in it, I'll be fine. I, obviously, knew some of Buddy Holly's more famous songs (That'll be the day, Every day and Peggy Sue) and the fact that he'd been killed in a plane crash, many years ago, along with Richie Valens and 'The Big Bopper' (J P Richardson), what I didn't realise, until I saw this production, was his influence on the 'Rock 'n' Roll' industry.

When the curtain went up and the performance started firstly it was fun to see the 1950's USA branding on the set. To hear Buddy, played by Roger Rowley (and Glen Joseph on some performances), singing country style music, to start with, caught my attention. Suddenly I realised there must be loads I never knew about Buddy Holly, and I was right.

The cast were brilliantly put together and all complimented one another, all the crew did a great job. It's a relatively light hearted show, a few amusing scenes, as well as some passionate acting on how Buddy must have felt in being held back in what he believed in.

Steve Dorsett, The Big Bopper/J P Richardson, did a great performance along with Miguel Angel, Richie Valens, who had plenty of energy to play such a young enthusiastic musician too, and looked great in all that lycra. Melissa Keyes, who played one of the Apollo performers as well as one of the 'Snowbirds' showed great comedic timing and an excellent set of biceps (couldn't help but notice them and slightly jealous). Katia Sartini who played Vi Petty and Maria Elena's aunt was wonderful and her playing on the Celesta was beautiful. The last of the female cast was Felicity Chilver who played Maria Elena (Buddy Holly's widow) and Candy was brilliant and held a good solid performance. All three of the ladies were in the 'Snowbirds' and sang beautifully, again showing some character during their performance.

The whole cast were fantastic and I find it hard to not name everyone as I think I may have fallen in love with the lot of them. To go along to a performance not really knowing what you'll find is always intriguing, however to find at the end you're standing up dancing, clapping and singing along with the cast shows what a great job they did.

Buddy's death was dealt with in a very sensitive way, but as we should remember, don't mourn the loss of him, be grateful he graced us with his talents and bravery of taking on a difficult industry and leaving us with such a great legacy.

I fully encourage people, young and old (I may have been the youngest on the front row middle section) to go and see Buddy while you can. We came away with a few extra mementos and a new found appreciation for Buddy Holly, his work and legacy and the amazing show to help celebrate his life.



The Buddy cast have a great youtube channel too, although it makes you wonder if some of them have a little too much time on their hands.
http://www.youtube.com/user/buddythemusical

No comments:

Post a Comment